Software tools for facilitating embedded indexing:
- DEXembed – Microsoft Word add-in to embed indexes, created in CINDEX, SKY Index, or MACREX into Word or DocBook XML.
- DEXter – Microsoft Word add-in to embed indexes directly in Word documents.
- InDesignConverter – Saves Word documents as InDesign tag files, also allowing the import of Word index entries into InDesign.
- IndeXExploit – add-in for Microsoft Word users wanting to use embedded index entries to find information fast, and for professional indexers and others wanting to create and debug embedded indexes.
- Index-Manager – Dedicated indexing software which creates embedded index entries in Word, InDesign, or XML files.
- IXGen – Indexing and marker management productivity tool for FrameMaker.
- IXMLembedder – Embeds index entries created in CINDEX and certain versions of SKY Index into Word documents, InDesign documents, and tagged XML files. (currently unavailable)
- Kerntiff Publishing Systems IndexUtilities – A collection of scripts and plugins that help embed index markers in InDesign.
- TExtract – semi-automated indexing software, which includes a Word embedding option.
- WordEmbed – Converts an index created in CINDEX, SKY Index, or Macrex into a Word embedded index.
- Embedded Indexing in InDesign, three one-hour presentation recordings, taught by Lucie Haskins, offered through the American Society for Indexing.
- Learning about KPS (Kerntiff Publishing Systems) Indexing-related Plugins for InDesign, one-hour presentation recording, taught by Lucie Haskins, offered through the American Society for Indexing.
- Embedded Indexing in MS Word Online Workshop, originally developed by James Lamb, offered through the Society of Indexers (UK) only to members of SI and affiliated ICRIS indexing societies.
- Embedded Indexing Skype-based workshop offered by Kevin Broccoli, email@example.com
- Introduction to Embedded Index Creation Using IXMLembedder, David K. Ream, offered through the American Society for Indexing, October 26, 2016.
- How to build an index in Word 2007, Dummies.com, Feb 26, 2009.
- “How to be the Interface between Publishers and Digital Indexing techniques,” Terry Casey, Jan Wright, and Pilar Wyman, ASI Conference, Cleveland, OH, April 28, 2018:
- Lucie Haskins Resources on embedded indexing
Published resources below are listed in chronological order, the most recent first.
- “IXMLembedder: What Does It Do and How Would You Use It?,” Lucie Haskins and Angela Howard, Key Words, vol. 25, no. 1, Spring 2017, pp. 17–24.
- “A Comparative Look at Embedded Index Entry Encoding in Selected Publishing Systems,” David K. Ream, Key Words, vol. 24, no. 4, Winter 2016, pp. 18-24.
- “Jumping on the Embedded Indexing Bandwagon… or Should I?,” Lucie Haskins The Indexer, vol. 34, no. 2, 2016, pp. 54–59.
- “Does Embedded Indexing Have a Future,” Cheryl Landes, The Indexer, vol. 34, no. 2, 2016, pp. 59–63.
- “What’s Going on with Embedded Indexing? The Way Forward,” Steve Ingle, Key Words, vol. 23, no. 11, December, 2015, pp. 151–153.
- “What’s Going on with Embedded Indexing? Ebooks and the Future of Indexing(—ers),” Steve Ingle, Key Words, vol. 23, no. 11, November, 2015, pp. 127–138.
- “Working Smarter, Not Harder with the KPS Indexing Plugins,” Lucie Haskins, The Indexer, vol. 31, no. 4, 2013, pp. 143–150.
- “XIndex: A Cautionary Tale,” Denise Sutherland, The Indexer, vol. 31, no. 2, 2013, pp. 66–67.
- “No, Not Embedded Indexing: CUP-XML, Elsevier, OUP et al,” Maureen MacGlashan, March 2013.
- “Publishing, XML and Indexers,” Nic Gibson, The Indexer, vol. 30, no. 1, 2012, pp. 44–46.
- “Indexing in InDesign,” Lucie Haskins.
- “XML Indexing,” Michele Combs, The Indexer, vol. 30, no. 1, 2012, pp. 47–52.
- “Troubleshooting Those Horrible Microsoft Word Index Problems,” by Seth A. Maislin, March 2011.
- “Future Publishing Technologies and Indexes,” James Lamb blog, February 11, 2011.
- “Index Syntax in Microsoft Word,” Seth A. Maislin, May 2010.
- “Myth of the Reusable Index,” Bill Johncocks, The Indexer, 2005, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 213–217.
- “Embedded Indexing,” James Lamb, The Indexer, vol. 24, no. 4, 2005, pp. 206–209.
- “CUP-XML Unique Numbers and MS Word,” James Lamb, February 20, 2004.
- “Embedded Indexing, Peg Mauer, 2001.
- “Jumping on the Embedded Indexing Bandwagon… or Should I?,” Lucie Haskins, ISC/SCI Conference, Victoria, BC, Canada, 2015.
- “Working Smarter, not Harder, with KPS Indexing Plugins,” Lucie Haskins, ASI conference, Seattle, WA, 2015.
- “DEXembed, WordEmbed, and IndexDeconstructor,” Lucie Haskins, ASI Conference, San Diego, April 21, 2012
- “Embedded Indexing” (FrameMaker and Microsoft Word), Lucie Haskins, Pacific-Northwest Chapter of ASI, 2006.
- “Embedded indexing: Learning the Smart Ways to Index in Adobe FrameMaker and Microsoft Word,” Lucie Haskins, in: Janet Perlman and Enid L Zafran (eds.) Index It Right! Advice from the Experts, volume 2, American Society for Indexing, 2010, pp. 111–34.
- “Embedded Indexing Software,” Glenda Browne and Jon Jermey, The Indexing Companion, Port Melbourne, Victoria: Cambridge University Press, 2007, pp. 183–186.
- “Indexing in Microsoft Word,” in Max McMaster and Sue Woolley, Indexing for Technical Communicators, Melbourne: Monarch Computing Services, 2004, pp. 103–112.
- “Embedded Indexing,” Peg Mauer, in Sandi Schroeder (ed.) Software for Indexing, American Society of Indexers, 2003, pp. 83–98. [Word and FrameMaker]
- “The Trials and Tribulations of Embedded Indexing with Word,” Joanne Clendenen, in Sandi Schroeder (ed.) Software for Indexing, American Society of Indexers, 2003, pp. 83–98.
- “Indexing with PageMaker,” Jan C. Wright, in Sandi Schroeder (ed.) Software for Indexing, American Society of Indexers, 2003, pp. 83–98.
- “The World of Embedded Indexing,” Jan C Wright, in Diane Brenner and Marilyn Rowland (eds.) Beyond Book Indexing: How to get Started in Web Indexing, Embedded Indexing, and Other Computer-Based Media, American Society of Indexers, 2001, pp. 3–12.